Special Envoy Jared Kushner said Iran is “not showing any interest” in making a deal that makes sense for the U.S., but noted that dialogue between the two countries is more “robust” than ever.
Kushner’s comments came after President Donald Trump said that there are no conversations ongoing or scheduled with Iran — contradicting Kushner and even himself after acknowledging earlier that there were backchannel discussions between the U.S. and Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
Pressed for specifics on the reported conversations, Kushner said Monday that he would not get into specifics but declared that “the conversations between the US government and- and different areas of the Iranian government, at all areas, is probably more robust than it’s maybe ever been,” Kushner said.
Trump’s son-in-law noted that, at the moment, Iran was “not showing any interest in- in doing something that makes sense for us” in terms of making a deal.
“They have to be willing to make a real deal. I think if they’re going to try to play a trick or do something to hide certain cards and get certain concessions. For now, President Trump wants to make a fair deal,” he added.